Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Keepin' it Real

Hey guys!

Welcome to the GCC drama team hangout! Add this to your favorites or bookmarks so you can find it easily and come hang out with us. Be sure to browse the comments of other team members as you check in to add to the discussion. I will be posting weekly and looking forward to hearing some of your feedback as we take this journey together toward excellence, relevance and authenticity in our art.

Dual purpose of this blog:
1. Build Community
get to know, listen (well, read), support, encourage, lift each other up

2. Moving Forward
read and discuss some new and old ideas that will stretch our hearts,minds,and artistic skills so we can take steps together toward Christ and excellence in our artform

Question #1: What would you like add to the list of purposes?




Here are a few quotes to jump start our thinking:
"Authenticity is a powerful witness to the presence of God in our lives. It doesn't mean we're perfect. It means that we're real. It means we're honest about our imperfections and our struggles. We don't gloss over them and put on a happy Christian face to cover up our pain. We admit that we struggle . . . the arts excel at identifying with people's pain and ministering the truth of God's word with sensitivity . . .the arts speak to the heart. The arts make us more sensitive and tender to the voice of God . . . I believe God is trying to raise up a global community of Christian artists who are fully devoted to the lordship of Jesus Christ in their lives. My friend, if that's the desire of your heart, forsake all else and follow Him. He's calling us to play a major role in the church. What an honor. What a privilege. Oh, that we may be found trustworthy (1 Cor. 4:2)!"
Rory Noland, The Heart of the Artist

"Day by day our lives are woven into a giant narrative, and every moment we become more and more the story of who we are. We are stories. And we only connect with other people when we know their stories. The more intimate we are, the more our stories intertwine . . . and each one of those stories, each one of those people, mattered so much to the Author of Life that he left heaven and began the dreadful trek to the cross . . . The storyteller entered the tale. The author stepped onto the page. The poet whose very words had written the cosmos became part of the text of this world." Steven James, Story


"The Word became flesh and blood,
and moved into the neighborhood." John 1:14 (Msg)

I'm keepin' it real here guys, if we are truly going to come together as a team and bring some amazing art to the stage that points people to Christ, then we've got to have a place where we can be real and build eachother up. This blog is just a start.

Question #2: We all know Jesus was the king of keepin' it real. Do you have a favorite story from the Bible where Jesus modeled authenticity for us?




Our first meeting is coming up soon. We will be handing out books,taking headshots, and beginning our acting training.
ASSIGNMENT #1: Write a 1-2 minute monologue about a true story/experience from your life. It can be funny, meaningful, confusing, odd--anything goes, as long as it's real. These will be memorized and performed at our first meeting in August ( Monday the 27th 7-10pm). I will be performing one about my first kiss (try not to throw up) : ). Here are a few starter ideas:
-how I survived an embarrassing moment from childhood
-how I (or your child) learned an important life lesson the hard way
-why I think _________ should be ___________
-the truth about _____________
Please try to include some source of conflict (and don't feel like it has to be resolved. I'm a parent but that doesn't mean I've figured out how to be a great Mom yet.) You can use some small props like photos or knick knacks. For instance, Shelley could perform a monolgue about her love affair with coffee and hold a starbucks cup gingerly in her arms ... : )


If you have a personal blog, list it in the comments, and I'll add it to the links. Each of us has a beautiful story. Let's share our stories with eachother so we can tell better stories on stage to bring people to Christ. Thank you so much for committing your time and energy to this. God is already setting up the dominoes. We may not even know the scope of what our art will do in people's lives and for the kingdom this year, but I'm excited we get to do this together! See you the 27th!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I am amazed that you did all of this at 6:05 in the morning. Are you the epitomy of a morning person, or what? Very impressive. I'm also amazed at the excitement I'm feeling this early in the morning about the unlimited potential of this team. Growing together toward Christ and being real why we do it? How great is that. I'm honored to be apart of it, even though you did spill the beans about my love affair with coffee. That's OK. It was bound to become known by everyone sooner or later.
-Shelley

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm actually blogging! Well...I guess I'm posting a comment on another blog but at least I've taken one step!!! Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks!

I am really psyched about the new format and the activities/training we're going to be doing. A Christ-centered, dedicated group of artists pouring out their talents for the Kingdom - how awesome is that? Like all of us, I imagine, I'm honored to be a part of it.

See ya!

John

Sherry Ingle said...

I love how Dr. Bob talked about Jesus "keepin' it real" last night at NC...how He would eat, drink, and hang out with the "unconvinced". Goes against my fundamentalist upbringing but I love it!!! Excited to see the drama team back in action...what a great group!!!

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled and sickened by what lies before me. The thrill comes with the opportunity to ham it up...and help others see the humanity in all of us. Sickened by the fear that is always waiting in the pit of my stomach...murmuring that I can't measure up/do it right...
Finally, I am honored to have such a team around me to help me grow. And now you know how much I need you!
Janet

Anonymous said...

I am with John on this one. I don't blog and I have never posted anything, anywhere so not only is this a new structure for the Drama team, it is also a new structure for Ginny Lawley. Eventually I think one of our purposes should be to continually challenge each other artistically and spiritually. As platform presenters, we are leaders. There are assumptions people will make about us. Hopefully they will see our love of Jesus through our expression of the arts. Our goal is to connect, not manipulate. Our ability to connect with the audience may be in direct proportion to our ability to connect with Jesus.
I may love the abilities each of you bring to this team, but if I care more about your ability that I do about you, I wonder what they says about my relationship with Christ?

We will all go through personal challenges and everyone's relationship with Jesus moves through peaks and valleys. These are the experiences that we can use to build into the message we convey through the arts. I want to be sensitive to those peaks and valleys, but truth is, the relational aspect of this new structure will be a challenge for me. I need to rely on our unity of purpose for now and take time to get to know all of you better. I think we are off to a good start.

Ginny

Anonymous said...

Question #1: Sorry, maybe I should know what "purposes" we have already defined but I must admit I do not. If we are talking about "getting to know, support, encourage..." then the item I would add to the list is honest/constructive feedback. All of us need this feedback in order to improve and grow in our craft, regardless of how little or how much drama we've previously done. No one should be concerned that this criticism says we aren't wanted or appreciated. We all have demonstrated talent and skill - that's why we're on the team in the first place! REGULAR feedback on recent dramas we've done highlighting what was good (because I agree completely that we need to build each other up!) and what could be improved on will only help us in our service to GCC, our community and God.

Question #2: I guess I do not have a favorite story from the Bible about "authenticity". The thing that sticks out to me is the amazing "consistency" of Jesus in the New Testament. Jesus was so consistent in his actions and attitudes it was amazing! For example: How many of us can say we are really consistent in our faith and our actions? At least for me one day I can easily resist a particular temptation and the next day it is incredibly hard. One day I can connect with God in prayer and the next day I have to almost force myself. One day I can show love and kindness and the next day I catch myself blowing by opportunites because I'm too busy, too stressed or too "something else". Authenticity and consistency are linked. If you aren't consistent in your attitudes/actions/etc. then are you truly authentic in those beliefs and attitudes? If you don't feel and react the same way to the same stimuli then are you really authentic? I guess we are if we look at ourselves as flawed, sinful humans and we need Christ as not only an example but also as the only true way to a perfect Father. As long as we are honest and genuine with our weaknesses maybe there is authenticity in that alone.

Wow, I didn't know I could be so deep (or is it obtuse?). Certainly an interesting topic to consider.

Anonymous said...

Purposes:

I like what has been said- John's comment on "real feedback" is right on- as artists, we can tend to have egos, insecurities, and all kinds of whacky stuff going on in our head. To get helpful feedback on improving our crafts is critical to get to the next level. One thing that has been helpful for me is that I TRUST OUR LEADERSHIP- past and present. Butch, Kristin, and those working with us on a particular drama want what's best for our audience, our purpose, and for US. If I feel awkward, dumb, "not sure", in a drama or scene, I know I have people looking out for me. For future growth, I know I'm in good hands and we're all working toward the same goals- Kristin, thanks for all you're doing and it's an honor to serve under your leadership.

JESUS STORY-

Hmmmm... I'm thinking when he cleared out the temple and was authentically "ticked" was revealing. For us I think it's a great reminder that God does not want us to be "casual", selfish about getting the glory, or have alterior motives about what we do. He does get mad. We have the opportunity to focus on helping people take their next step towards Christ through the gifts God has given us. Sometimes I have to remind myself, "It's not about me"- I can be so selfish- I am humbled to be part of this team and the responsibility we all have can be quite overwhelming... I'm glad I have great team around me!

Steph said...

Hello! Here we go...

Question #1: Strengths with this team are the collective attitude that we want to do our best. It's a safe place because we know we care about each other.

Effectiveness: I feel the dramas are well written and performed, which really helps the audience connect in a way that other ways may not. (I know it does for me!)

Question #2: I have been really wanting a way to have consistent, strategic growth with our craft/team. I think we are going to get it! Wahoo!

Question #3: I am very honored and thrilled to be part of this team. I am looking forward to the challenges that will help me improve. You are such an incredibly talented group, which makes me pretty nervous, but I know you will gently try to bring me closer and closer to your level of excellence!

Anonymous said...

Wow...reading these comments is so cool. It's already like a little community....some of you I know well, having spent whole weekends talking about what drives you... your passions as actors and again as real people. Others I'm so curious about who you are & while I'm trying to form a picture of you, I'm sure you're doing the same. Nice to meet you...I'm truly excited and warmed by the little camp we've made here. It'll be fun coming back again to warm our toes together or if for no other reason than to just let loose... throw caution to the wind & (L)augh (O)ut (L)oud. I hope there's lots of that.

As for adding to the purpose of the blog. Well, for me...just give me one more reason to write & I'm all in. As director, I think we're on the mark for building a common area to discuss what we do, why we do it & how to get it done.
I probably wouldn't use it to post your Ebay items, although if you've got some good stuff, let me know later...jk

See this is fun...for me anyway...

Moving along...

Question #2
One of the stories that really moves me, I think because there were so many conflicting goals in the story is the one in which Jesus comes back to raise Lazarus in John 11.

21"Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."

23Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."

24Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

25Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

27"Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ,[b] the Son of God, who was to come into the world."

28And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. "The Teacher is here," she said, "and is asking for you." 29When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. 30Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. 31When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.

32When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

33When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34"Where have you laid him?" he asked.
"Come and see, Lord," they replied.

35Jesus wept.

One of the most authentic moments is when we see tears...whether from frustration, anger, fear, tiredness, laughter..etc., it's a physical response to the emotion within us. Which is why I love this passage.

Jesus wept.

From the very beginning of the passage Jesus is on a mission of hope. The whole purpose (in the previous verses) sets up the death of Lazarus as Jesus openning window for us...His opportunity to allow this amazing light to stream into our eyes & hearts & see Jesus as the Christ.

There's obviously a lot of reasons why Jesus might weep but imagine being the hope of resurrection.

To speak it to Martha...

Then to have Mary spouting accusations as she too can't hear what He's saying.

Then to watch as they wander around, blind to what He means to them...the access they have to life.

I think that's pretty authentic a scene...full of conflict and opposing goals. Good stuff & really meaningful too.