Friday, August 31, 2007

Lesson One: Concentration, Part 1

(on p. 3-4)

Lesson one is all about where to focus our concentration. A good place to start for us as a team, but it may not be exactly what Richy had in mind when he wrote this book . . . .

Richard Boleslavsky ("Richy") says that "Art cannot be taught. To possess an art means to possess talent. That is something on has or has not." I think it's safe to say after last week, we can be confident in the "art" and talent of this team!

So, let's be honest, Richie isn't most tender of mentors, but at least he agrees to teach the young girl whom he lovingly refers to as "The Creature" (ah, how sweet!-gag).

The thing I love about us going through this book together is that we can take it all in through the common lens of Christ. Do something fun with me, reread the following quote from the top of 18 where we replace the word theatre with Christ and think about that it means for us as artists in the church.

"Loving Christ is not enough. Who in the church does not love Him? To consecrate oneself to Christ, to devote one's entire life to Him, give Him all one's thought, all one's emotions, all one's art! For the sake of Christ to give up everything, to suffer everything! And more important than all, to be ready to give Christ everything--Your entire being--expecting Christ to give you anything in return beyond His own life, not the least grain of what seemed to you so beautiful in Him and so alluring."


Question #1: What are some unique ways you've found to renew your faith and carry out a daily walk with Christ?
Questions #2: Any concerns that we can pray for together?

**Extra Credit assignment? : )
Your stories and monologues were so well-written, well-performed and inspiring that we're thinking about doing a one-act play for a sermon in October during the heroes series, do you have any good stories about heroes from your life who volunteered in a church or taught you about faith in their actions and not just their words? Send me an e-mail and share your stories, so we can start compiling. Can't wait for more awesome tales from the team!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was an interesting chapter - I wasn't sure what to expect, but a lot of what he was saying rang true. I especially like the part about the actor being up on what's culturally relevant, in all the arts, music etc., which I think totally fits with our position as a church - that in order to do what we do well, we need to understand all the art of our culture, and we try hard to do that. Interesting stuff!

Anonymous said...

Question #1: I'm not sure how "unique" this is but I have recently tried to focus my prayer life more on praise and thanksgiving as opposed to my needs/problems or someone else's needs and problems. The point is God knows our needs and problems before we verbalize them. He's waiting to bless us and the Bible has a great deal to say about how we ought to pray. When I started to do this I saw my attitude improve and I believe my walk with God is better now as a result.

Prayer Concerns: I'm traveling to Europe during the week of September 16-21 on business. I know it sounds all fun and cool to be going to Europe but most business trips are more of a grind than anything else. I'm sure we'll have some opportunity to see some countryside and all but traveling is always a bit of an experience when it is international. So...keep me in your prayers and I'll let everyone know how it went when I get back.

Diana Dawn said...

I'm sorry I'm so slow in getting to this!
I think that by exchanging the word theatre with Christ proves, even more, that Theatre was born out of religion. Christ was our teacher, so often He said, "Watch and learn..." Maybe not in those words, but His meaning was clear.
In my personal life, I learn so much from watching others. And when reading God's word, I learn so much from the true stories of the "great actors and actresses" from long ago. Jesus was a master storyteller...I pray that I can learn to tell His stories in order to spread the truth.