Thursday, April 2, 2009

Archie




Many of you may remember David Morgan's sweet and moving monolog about his dog Archie last year. At first we thought it was a cute tribute to a fun companion, then we realized the true story lied in a ministry that brought a symbol of joy and God's love to hospital patients all wrapped up in a panting, grinning furball! Unfortunately, I received this recent e-mail last night from Dave:

"My friend Archie went to heaven today. My constant companion for more than 11 years, the decision to let him go was made this morning. After fighting failing kidneys for the last 6 weeks, along with heart disease and other aliments, his bad days were starting to outnumber the good ones. He went quietly and peacefully—as was his nature in life.

Archie was our office dog, going to the Force 5 Media offices with me for years and years. He had beds for naps in several offices, and greeted our clients and vendors with a smile and wagging tail-especially if they had treats.

Archie was the first certified “delta” dog in Elkhart and Saint Joseph Counties . Archie and I visited Goshen Hospital almost every week for 8 years, visiting over 3,000 patients and countless staff during that time. Everyone knew Archie’s name. He brought smiles and healing to many people, and helped those in need rest well. We have many wonderful stories and memories, and I know he’s receiving pats on the head in heaven for a job well done.

When I lost my first furry friend many years ago, a friend wrote the following note to me—a note that says what I feel now…once again..

“I know of no purer grief than that of having to say goodbye to a loved one, and that awful sorrow is unmindful of whether the loved one is human or animal. Our pets are as much a family member as anyone else and those who do not experience the boundless joy of a loving pet have missed a huge opportunity to love...and to be loved. There is no guile, no expectation, no positioning for advantage, no jealousy in a pet's love, rather the simple and beautiful joy of living a happy life with those for whom he cares.”

I know Archie lived a happy life with those he loved, and who loved him dearly. We will miss him.

-David"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the sweetest thing to read. Thanks for posting this Kristin, and David, I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are amazing little creatures that can actually transform lives. Believe me, I know. God bless Archie!

-Shelley Arredondo

Phil said...

Pets are a manifestation of God's unconditional love. I know how much you loved Archie and I am sorry he is gone.

Sherry Ingle said...

I have tears in my eyes typing this, as I have Archie's Card on my frig and have thought of the ministry that little dog (and David) have had all this time. How many lives they have touched ! I am thinking of you, David...God bless you!