Monday, October 15, 2007

Chapter 2 Conclusion

(p. 36-43)

Richie continues to reassure his student that she'll get the hang of emotion memory with practice and patience. He tells her it's kind of like learning a song. Eventually you start humming the tune without even being aware you're doing it. That's the cool thing about this system. It takes practice and discipline, but eventually it just begins to "click"and becomes almost automatic. The trick is persevering through the old habits--kind of like this blog! Many of you aren't used to blogs and how to post a comment, but once you realized you don't need to be a great writer or a tech genius-just someone who can type an honest reponse, it became not such a big deal! Thanks for persevering!

The creature challenges Richie (p. 38) by asking him about playing a murderer since she's never murdered anyone. David Morgan had never won the lottery, but he has experienced a surprise or moments of pure joy,and he used those along with the "magic if" (what is this really did happen to me? How would I react?) to pull us in to his character's story when he performed his monolgue at the last meeting.

Richie gives us a couple of great reminders or warning labels on this tool: (p.40-41)
"Be careful not to overdo it. Don't look for "to be"when you should seek "to do.". . . The difficult spots are what you should watch for and work for. Every play is written for one or at most a few "high tension"moments. The audience pays the price of the tickets--not for two whole hours--but for the best ten seconds, the ten seconds when it gets the biggest laugh or thrill. Your whole strength and perfection must be directed toward those seconds."

APPLICATION: Name your favorite movie and it's "high tension" moment. Then name one of your scenes or monolgues you've performed or will perform in the meeting and tell us what the "high tension"moment is for that particular piece.

Richie sums it up well when he reminds her of the main idea of this new tool as she is about to leave for rehearsal:
"Notice everything around you--watch yourself cheerfully. Collect and save in your soul all the riches of life and the fulness of it. Keep those memories in order. You can never tell when you need them . . .they are your paints and brushes. And they will bring you reward."

Reminds me of a great verse :
Ephesians 1:7
Because of the sacrifice of the Messiah, his blood poured out on the altar of the Cross, we're a free people—free of penalties and punishments chalked up by all our misdeeds. And not just barely free, either. Abundantly free! He thought of everything, provided for everything we could possibly need, letting us in on the plans he took such delight in making. He set it all out before us in Christ, a long-range plan in which everything would be brought together and summed up in him, everything in deepest heaven, everything on planet earth.


I hate to admit it, but I kind of identified with Richie (minus the sexism and egotism-but still you gotta love him) when he reminded her of the end result of the system (p.42).Because I've seen it in my students, I can clearly see down the road, when all of you will no longer feel like "convenient type" actors that are simply willing, fitting, and available, but you will finally own that you've become"daring artists" that take people to the exact spot they need to go to open their ears and hearts to crucial messages God has waiting for them. We're on our way! Thanks for your continued dedication. See you Monday the 22nd!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey all,

Let's see - my favorite movie: I don't know if I have a favorite movie but I did recently watch Top Gun. I think the high tension moment was at the end in the battle over the Pacific (?) when Maverick (T. Cruise) was able to overcome the grief of losing his friend and his self doubt and come through in the end when his country and his fellow pilots needed him the most. He found something about himself and within himself that, in spite of all the bravado early in the movie, I wonder if he knew existed.

As far as the stuff we've done recently in the drama meetings, I think the elevator drama gave us a high tension moment when the other guy in the elevator died as a result of the free fall both guys experienced. No where in the rest of the scene is there any hint that that would happen and then right at the end you find out.

Come on folks! I'm really interested to hear your thoughts. If you are reading our blog but don't feel comfortable contributing don't worry about what you'll write. It's just like conversation - we just want to hear what you think!!

Later,

John

Steph said...

My favorite movie is 'Splash'. The high tension moment would be when Eugene Levy's character finally throws water on Daryl Hannah's character. They say you love a movie because you identify with one of the characters, but I'm not sure about this one!

Anonymous said...

My favorite movie is Somewhere in Time form 1982/82 starring the late Christopher Reeve and jane Seymor. It's an icrdible love story between two people from different time periods, kind ofa travelling back in time thing. The huge tension moment was when Richard finds a cuurent day penny in his coat pocket and it brings him back to present day, ripping him from the arms of his one and only true love, a good 50 years before. It's real heart ripper!

-Shelley

Anonymous said...

I think most of us have been in some previous scenes/dramas (at GCC or elsewhere) that had some some sort of a climax or a "moment" that stuck with you while preparing and performing it. Those moments could be serious or comical. Anyone want to share what they were? How did you prepare for that moment in the drama?

Kristin Baker said...

In my first drama on stage, I played a young girl who was raped. Fortunately,this has never happened to me,But I was able to "become" the character with a combination of three things:
1.) -THE MAGIC IF-"What if this happened to me?",
2.) remembering a time in my life when someone physically had control over what I was able to do and the panic I felt (my brother used to trap me in corners and insult me untili cried and then tell me that he wouldn'tlet me out fo the corner until I stopped crying and promised not to tell my parents, and, finally
3.) remembering a good friend of mine whom the character was based on and my strong empathy for her as she told me her story.

Anonymous said...

I still have to list Braveheart as one of my all-time favorite movies. It has lots of moments of tension - I think one that is heart-wrenching to me (similar to what Kristin was sharing) is where Marin is cornered and raped, and then she's killed - even though it wasn't her fault. I hate that part of the movie, but they do such an excellent job of building up in the audience a sense of her purity and innocence, and the extreme injustice of her suffering. And you have to understand that in order for you to understand part of the motivation of Mel Gibson's character in the rest of the movie.

Hmmm...I think the character I would have played most recently with some tension would have been during Suburban Legends, when I played Kyle's college girlfriend, who discovers that his father doesn't exactly 'approve' of her. As it ended, I had to use my body language and expression to convey how that made me feel.

Well friends, I'm back from China and back into my normal routine now - yay!

Anonymous said...

Wow! China??? How was it? I've never been there but our company has a plant there and some of our people go there pretty regularly. I understand it is absolute craziness on the roads! Every man (or woman) for himself/herself.

Anonymous said...

So John, it sounds like you find driving in the US different than what you have been told about China. Are you chauffer driven?

Lately I have been drawn to "Crimson Tide" everytime I see it's on Starz. There are so many high tension moments that it captivates me every time. When D. Washington has to choose between mutiny and doing something he knows is absolutly wrong you can sense the tension right through the TV.

Hey Shelley, have you been to the Grand Hotel? I must tell you what Jan arranged for my parents and us last October at the Grand. It was beyond incredible.

I'm starting to max out on this blogging aaaaaaa......PMM

Anonymous said...

Hello!!
My favorite movie is probably Pride&Prejudice. The high tension moment is prbably when Mr. Darsey shares his love to the second oldest daughter(I forget her name) and purposes to her. I could watch that part over and over again. It changes the whole feel of the movie after that scene because you know she deeply wants him as well. AHH! I love this movie.
Oh, and the high tension moment of the scene I will be sharing next drama meeting is about a girl named Jose and how she realizes that the hand she is holding is not her father's at the Music Festival(?). Basically, she is being kidnapped.

Wow, blogging is fun!

-Julia

Anonymous said...

Phil, you are a natural at this blogging thing! By the way, the only way to "drive" in China is to be "chauffer driven" - that is if you value your life!

Great meeting last night. See ya'all in a month!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is so awesome, you guys!!

I like movies with realistic resolution / non resolution scenes.

Some of my favorite are:

Moulin Rouge - When Christian (Ewan McGregor) confronts Satine (Nicole Kidman) throwing at her the money that he "owed her".

Goodwill Hunting - The scene when Robin Williams confronts Matt Damon about his past abuse. Unexpectedly good stuff...

Just like you guys every month ..I'm always so excited to see what you bring every time. More importantly to me is that you are there...learning more about yourselves and putting new pieces of the puzzle in place.

I hope each of you realize this training is all about you. It's not about good and bad performances here. Sometimes it'll feel like you're going backwards and you just aren't performing the way you WANT to. Other times you'll get in character and stay there longer than you had realized you could. These are YOUR milestones...your moments to discover in a safe environment among fellow team members. As directors were hoping to guide you through that while in a way, suspending judgment. Just by being persistent you are accomplishing more each time you commit the time. Believe me it is noticed and appreciated.

Keep each other accountable throughout the month...encourage each other...

See you next time!! Keep blogging!