Tuesday, October 2, 2007

On to the Next Chapter . . . .


We are now on Ch. 2 "Memory of Emotion"

(The following discussion is on p. 21-29.)


Richie sees the creature once again, and she has another problem. Like any good teacher, he starts out with a little encouragement (a far cry from Ch. 1). After learning so much, she's embarrassed about her last performance for him. He tells her:


"You just did it. You made the attack yourself. You didn't wait for somebody to push you."


(Reminds me of 25 cool people I know.)


One of the millions of things I love about GCC is we focus on a "Big Idea" for each service, and we drive it home in as many cool ways as we can. First Impressions even has a big idea that can be summed up in 2 words- You matter! So this whole chapter is about one big idea that is one of the greatest tools in the actor's belt--affective memory or memory of emotion. It's kind of our secret weapon for those tough parts that are hard to relate to. (Much like most of your monologues!)


Richie notices this ability in her before he explains it to her:
"She is like a violin whose strings repond to all vibrations. I am sure she takes all there is in life as only a strong, normal being can take it. She selects what she wants to keep; she throws away what seems worthless to her. She will make a good actress." (24)

Though he recognizes it, she only sees the problem in front of her. She gets very serious when she tries to explain it, and he gets frustrated with her. He says:
"Why do people get solemn as soon as they speak of things which have no purpose but to bring joy to others!" (Lightbulb?!) I went to my grandparents church a few months ago, and this reminds of me of the atmosphere of their services as opposed to GCC. Our church knows how to celebrate the joy of following Christ. We are so lucky it's easy to take it for granted!

So, off my soap box now, she explains that she knows the part inside and out (p. 25) but still feels like something is missing. I know I've been there. Especially when I was younger and was asked to play older married women or mothers before I experienced it myself. I tried to do everything right but something was missing. "They will say 'You are very good, but you lack experience' and that's all. What is that cursed experience?" (26)

That's when we get the first intro. to our big idea. He talks to her about the "practicality of dreams". He says all of her experiences, senses, real or imagined are at her beckon call to be used to connect to her part.
"You will have to organize and synchronize the self that is within you, with your part. Then everything will be splendid."

Have you ever noticed how God uses difficult times to prepare us to help others through similar difficulties? It's the same thing. We get to recall true experiences from our lives to help point others to Christ. That's what the memory of emotion is all about.

At the Willow Creek Arts Conference, Nancy Beach said:
"If we as artists do not speak to the absence of God, we will not awaken the search for his presence. Our message of hope must be rooted in both darkness and light. We must live in the contradiction. Embrace the darkness while pointing to the light. All we can offer sometimes is a bit of a broken hallelujah."

She talked about "living in the contradiction" which is exactly what the creature is trying to do with her part.

Discussion Question:
Can you think of a time in your life where you were torn between two extreme emotions like the character the creature is being asked to play?

Example: On my wedding day, I was having the time of my life until I noticed the look in my dad's eyes when he offered me his arm to walk me down the aisle. I realized the simultaneous beginning and ending of chapters in my life. Fear and a sense of adventure. Joy and Grief all at once.

What about you?

More on this to come next week . . .





4 comments:

liveyourlovoutloud said...

Deciding to have children is like this for me. I look forward to the joy of multiplying my marriage love, but I am terrified about loosing my sassy self....pedicures, cocktails, and freedom for John & I etc...I love John so much & so I want to build our family...that feeling fills me...but there are TWO conflicts fer shure. And apparently you cannot go back...no returns right?

Anonymous said...

Moving to Indiana had a lot of this "dual emotion" thing for me. It was 15 years ago now but I still remember the feelings clearly. On one hand I was excited and proud that the company I worked for thought enough of me to give me a promotion and move me here. It was an adventure to move to another state, buy a house, start a new job, etc. But, as the time drew close, I was really sad and almost depressed as I thought about leaving friends behind, leaving a church that I really enjoyed attending and starting over completely! It took a long time for me to think of Indiana as "home".

Sherry Ingle said...

Leaving our old church of 12+ years to come to GCC. Leaving friends and ministries (some of which we had been in on from the beginning stages)and a more "tradional" background...and feeling the pull of GCC and the something "different" that called out to us. But as in all of God decisions it was the right one!!

Anonymous said...

I would have to say the same thing as John. Moving here was very bittersweet. Leaving my family and friends that I had known my whole life, was hard, but I knew it was a good move for my husband Dale, and his career path and I knew it would be a great place to raise my kids. I work as an ESL (English as a second language) tutor for PHM and one of the girls I tutor is from a refugee camp in Africa. Last week she had an assignment about the happiest and saddest time in her life. They turned out to be one in the same. When she got on the plane to come to America, she said was the happiest time in her life, but having to leave four siblings behind, made it also the saddest day of her life. We should never take anything for granted and treasure what we are given.